The Importance of Sprinkler System Repairs and Maintenance:
Keep Your Sprinkler System Operating at Its Best
Houston residents rely on properly functioning sprinkler systems to keep their landscape nice and green.
While most sprinkler systems are relatively low maintenance, they still require periodic maintenance. Even high-quality systems still require repairs and seasonal maintenance to keep them operating at their best.
It can be difficult to know what can be done yourself and when to call for professional assistance. This checklist can help you to determine which jobs you can tackle, and which ones are best left to the pros!
Common Repairs Needed Even the best sprinkler systems will periodically break down, and require minor repairs occasionally. While it may be best to call in your landscape professional to resolve the more complicated issues such as broken pipes underground, some of the more simple repairs such as clogged sprinkler heads, you may be able to do yourself.
- Sprinkler Heads Sprinkler heads are composed of many tiny moving parts -which eventually will fail. Over time, they can become clogged, broken, or smashed. Misaligned sprinkler heads can be readjusted, clogged heads cleaned and broken heads replaced.
- Obstructions Overgrown grass or shrubs can obstruct the sprinkler head and lead to poor coverage for your lawn. To prevent sprinkler heads from becoming obstructed, it’s best to keep your grass and shrubs cut and pruned. An obstructed sprinkler head may simply need to be unclogged, or it may need to be replaced.
- Broken Pipes Most irrigation systems are built and designed with high quality pipes that won’t be damaged by everyday maintenance and care of your lawn. But over time, it is possible that your pipes will become brittle or broken down and need replacement. Because fixing a broken pipe usually involves digging, as well as special tools, it’s a good idea to call in your Houston landscaping professional.
Seasonal Maintenance for Houston Sprinklers It is important that you provide seasonal maintenance to your irrigation system to help make sure everything is in good working order. Usually by the time your sprinkler system needs some repairs, it’s also in need of some maintenance as well.
- Winter Winterizing your irrigation system is important to keep your pipes from freezing. For Houston residents, it’s important to make sure your irrigation system is winterized to prevent the pipes from freezing. Drip irrigation systems and sprinkler systems can both benefit from a professional winterization service. This involves blowing all of the water out so that when it freezes, no water is left in the pipes, reducing the chance of pipes freezing and cracking.
- Spring Spring is a good time to start preparing your system for the long haul that it’s in for when summer arrives! A spring service allows you to ensure your sprinkler system will be good to go for the year ahead, and can help to prevent problems mid-way through. Your landscape professional will check for leaks or geysers, and other potential problem areas.
A sprinkler system is a great way to save time. With a bit of routine maintenance and care, you can keep your sprinkler running smoothly for years ahead.
At Cut Above Landscaping, we are here to help. We provide full-service sprinkler and landscaping services for residential and commercial properties in Houston and the surrounding areas. Contact Cut Above Landscaping today for more information on Houston landscaping services.