What to Do If a Spring Breaks on a Garage Door
Most homeowners use their garage doors every day as the primary entrance to their homes. Ensuring the quality of your garage door is essential for facilitating convenience, dependable functionality and safe daily use. With such frequent use, it’s likely that your garage door will succumb to normal wear and tear — and among the most common type of garage door breakages is a broken garage door spring.
The spring of your garage door system is responsible for counteracting the weight of your garage door, and without it, your door would be nearly impossible to lift. Often, you can determine that the spring has broken because the event is marked by a loud bang, similar to a firework exploding. Once you hear this sound, you can verify the spring is damaged by checking for the following:
- Gaps in the middle of the spring
- Dangling cables
- Bends at the top of the door
- Fast falling during closing
- Inability to lift the door with the emergency cord
- Unsteady movements
- Crooked door
If you notice any of these signs, contact someone to fix the broken garage door spring to avoid inconvenient delays, prevent injuries and ensure safe entry to your home.
Fixing a Broken Garage Door Spring
Garage door springs are intended to function reliably for five to 10 years, depending on the quality of the part, daily use and maintenance tasks performed. But eventually, these parts will break. While many homeowners may be tempted to fix a broken garage door spring themselves to save on costs, most professionals strongly advise against this course of action due to the danger involved. By hiring a professional garage door repair company to perform your garage door spring replacement, you can ensure:
- Safety: The garage door is the largest moving part of your home and under an immense amount of tension, making garage door repairs potentially dangerous for homeowners. While fixing a broken garage door spring, homeowners could be injured by an unexpectantly falling door or have their fingers crushed in the tightly wound spring coils.
- Proper installation techniques: Repairing garage door springs requires specific tools and equipment as well as precise expertise and training that only professionals have. Homeowners who don’t properly replace torsion springs could end up with a malfunctioning door, damages to other garage door parts or breakages that lead to injury.
- Prompt replacement: By having the proper tools and experience, professional garage door technicians can remove your damaged spring and perform a replacement in less time than a homeowner attempting the same project.
Contact Aaron’s Garage Doors to Schedule Your Garage Door Repair Services
Your home’s garage door is one of the most crucial pieces of equipment used in your day-to-day activity, and you want to ensure it’s safe, functional and efficient. When you experience an unexpected broken garage door spring, contact the trained and knowledgeable professionals at Aaron’s Garage Doors to perform fast and effective repairs using only the highest-quality parts and tools available.
We have over 20 years of experience serving homeowners throughout Nashville, TN, and beyond, including communities in Williamson, Sumner and Rutherford counties. To learn more about our garage door services and spring repairs, call us today at 615-456-6654 or complete our online contact form.